Thursday, March 01, 2007

 

Risk

I saw my Oncologist yesterday, an appointment that I had been eyeing suspiciously for a while. I now see my Oncologist every four months, after over a year of monthly appointments. As the pages of my datebook advanced, I would catch glimpses of the appointment and it would cause my stomach to flip-flop.

Up to now, the visits to my Onc haven't been cause for any undue anxiety. While I don't like having to visit Sloan-Kettering, it seems to be in my best interest. However, I'm also hyper-aware that I'm now smack dab in the middle of my riskiest time of recurrence. In other words, if the cancer is going to come back, it is going to do so between now and sometime in 2008-- the 2-3 year window post treatment.

There's an irony to it-- I feel healthier than I did prior to my diagnosis. I'm taking great care of myself and have switched to a low-stress job. But neither of these actions, while both positive for my general health, have been shown to reduce the risk of the cancer coming back.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?